Monday, February 15, 2010

Kiwi Brevet 2010 Day 4

Day 4

No, this pic is not rotated sideways.  I'm wondering why I agonized over trivial equipment decisions like tool choices, extra tire, camping gear and racks.  Why did I not consider climbing rope, crampons, and 'jaws of life' extrication rescue tools?

Up early—on trail at 5am, eager to get out of the woods and back on the road. “ 12 km of grade 4 riding”. “Expect a bit of walking, but mostly you’ll strike long sections of dream-like single track,” is the description by the Kennett brothers in their book. I’d describe the track a bit differently. Perhaps replacing “dream” with “nightmare,” and “a bit of walking” with “expect to walk every step of the 12K, unless you are sliding down a bank, or crawling up the other side, wishing for a belay rope.” I emerged into the light of gravel road at noon, clearly disabused of any notion of my mountain biking skills, and firm in my newfound decision to turn this “brevet” into a touring ride—dawn to dusk now became my motto. Afternoon sealed and flat gravel open road—a bit warm but not stifling. Dusk falling into Jacksons for the night—got the last pub meal before closing, and slept on the floor of a two person cabin with 3 other Wellington guys who caught me just before Jacksons.

No comments:

Post a Comment