Sunrise on Molesworth Station
Up early for a ride up Jollies pass to Achernon house on the Molesworth Station—the largest farm in NZ. Steep climb with a little walking for 4 km, then pretty good gravel road for 15K to the house, built of Cob (straw, grass, mud, and dung) in the 1800s as a way station for the drovers to stay as they moved with sheep and cattle across the center of the South Island toward Hanmer. I saw exactly 2 humans on this 3 hour round trip ride—a couple camping at the Acheron house. He is a randonneur from England who has been living in Christchurch for a few years, and says he has plans to ride the Kiwi Brevet in 2011! He gave me encouraging words about my choice of bike/set up for the ride. I am encouraged that it should be possible to bike Hanmer to Blenheim (start/finish of the Kiwi Brevet) in one long day, assuming I can carry enough water and food to go from Acheron house to Blenheim in one leg. (no food or good water for 185K, although a few iodine tabs might be a good back-up plan.) If I start from Hanmer at 5 am with a full tummy, I think I’ll ride into Blenheim between 9-11pm. The best laid plans. . .
Back to the forest camp for late breakfast with the girls, then packed up the car, and drive to Blenheim. Great seal watching at various venues on the coastal road, picnic lunch by the sea. Nice park for play at night after family pub meal.




No comments:
Post a Comment