Monday, February 15, 2010

Kiwi Brevet 2010 Day 6

Day 6

Lee's Vally scene

Up at 6, on trail by 645—not too bad a walk out to gravel this morning. Several rivers to cross—tried to keep my Schmidt front dynohub out of the water, with some success. Lee’s Valley gravel road, then private road over pass toward the new valley and points north. A few bonus km when I missed the turn to the private road—lost my map and compass in the fall the day before, and was simply following bike tire tracks on the dirt and gravel. This provided surprisingly good navigation, especially as I was now decidedly not a front-runner, thus had lots of tracks to follow. Out to pavement at Hurunui, and stopped for fish and chips takeaway at Culverden at about 6pm, only a few hours shy of Hanmer Springs. Hammered into Hanmer at about 8pm—with my front dyno light suspiciously dim. I’m suspecting that the river crossings may have affected the hub circuits, and am glad to have Dinnotte battery backups. However, I also remind myself that “dawn to dusk” is now my motto, and I’ll not try to cross Molesworth in one long day. I’m pleased to find a dairy shop still open, and do my grocery shopping for the next 40 hours. Loaf of bread, cheese slices, ham slices, 2 packs of cookies, 2 boxes granola bars, and eggs for breakfast in the morning. Good sleep in a tiny cabin at the Hanmer Forest Camp, and up at a leisurely 7:30 am to cook myself ham, eggs and toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment