Monday, February 15, 2010

Kiwi Brevet 2010 Day 7

Day 7






On the road at 9am for the Molesworth—front bag packed full of food, extra water bottle somewhat precariously strapped on the back. Up Jollies pass for the first hour—more walking, but I did this as a recon ride last month, and know that it does not go on forever. Smooth gravel road to the Acheron house at about 20K—gee, this might go faster than I thought. .. NOT . . .No more smooth gravel for the next 75K or so. Concentrating to find the best line between wash boarding, thick coarse gravel, and stones takes up most of my mental capacity for the next 6 or 8 hours. Pleased to find good water at the Molesworth Station, I proceed on in the early evening after picnic in “Big Sky” country. Quite stunning scenery all the way.

Keeping to my mantra “dawn to dusk,” I pull over on the road before Upcot Saddle at about 8:30pm, and set up my tarp/bivy sack behind some bushes along the road. I say “hi” to several bikers as they pass me at this point, hoping to have a better start for tomorrow's finish at Blenheim.

2 comments: