Day 5
Some great color in the hills going up Arthur's pass.
On the road (sealed/paved) at 0645, time to climb Arthur’s pass. Steep, some walking, but me in no mood to complain now that I had smooth tarmac under my feet for more than a few Km.
Refueling on top of Arthur's pass for brunch--most ended the day at Wharedale Hut
Up Porter’s pass in the afternoon, in cold rain. Actually felt somewhat good up that hill—measuring my effort to balance with body temperature. Stopped at Sheffield for the “famous” pie shop—time to stock up food for at least 24 hours to make it through the Wharfedaile track and Lee’s Valley tomorrow morning. I ate one meat pie, drank a liter of milk, and bought 2 cherry and a meat pie, and a big round pizza—stuffed them all into the front bag on the bike, and took off toward the Wharfedale track. Things rolled along pretty smoothly at first, and I had a nice conversation with James from Northern NZ, who has been riding his bike around the world for many years. We talked of Madiera wine and politics. Then I slipped off the edge of the “smooth responsive riding surface” (again Kennett bros book description) and found myself suddenly 10 feet down the steep bank, with my bike above my head. After an extrication which luckily did not include the regional mountain rescue team, I was back on the trail—walking single track again. The rain had just started, and after “plenty of fords, roots and rocks to keep me challenged” (again, Kennett description) I finally stumbled into the hut at 10:30 or 11pm. Another night on the floor—about 15 bikers in this 8 bunk hut.
No comments:
Post a Comment